LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) — Authorities say an hours-long standoff with a man holed up inside a Las Cruces home ended with a fiery explosion.
Dona Ana County Sheriff’s deputies did not release the condition Wednesday of the 60-year-old man who had been barricaded inside for the past two days.
Sheriff’s spokeswoman Kelly Jameson says the suspect was fighting with his adult son.
The son reportedly returned to the home Tuesday afternoon with a sheriff’s deputy.
Authorities say that’s when the suspect fired a shot through front door.
The deputy then called in a tactical response team.
Jameson says the suspect did not respond to crisis negotiators.
Jameson says an explosion went off inside at about 8:30 p.m. A subsequent fire was extinguished.
The state Department of Public Safety is investigating.