MENU

Child dies from infected rat; family sues Petco

February 25, 2014 • National News


This undated photo released by Gomez Trial Attorneys courtesy the Pankey family, shows Aidan Pankey and one of his pet rats. Lawyers representing the Pankey family have filed a lawsuit against Petco Animal Supplies Inc., saying Aidan died from rat-bite fever contracted from a male rat purchased at one of the national chain’s stores. (AP Photo/Courtesy Pankey Family)

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A San Diego family is suing Petco after the death of their 10-year-old son from a bacterial infection they say he contracted from his pet rat.

Attorney John Gomez told The Associated Press on Tuesday that his firm filed the lawsuit Monday in San Diego County seeking an unspecified amount for the suffering endured by the Pankey family, whose son, Aidan, died June 12, 2013, hours after he was rushed to the hospital with severe stomach pains.

The San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled that the cause of death was streptobacillus moniliformis infection, commonly known as rat-bite fever, after exposure to an infected rat.

The retailer in a statement expressed its condolences.

“We are deeply saddened by the Pankey family’s tragic loss,” Petco said in a statement. “The health and Login to read more

Related Posts

Comments are closed.

« »