[auth] “A Nightmare in Las Cruces” opens at Icon Cinemas today. Originally released in 2011, this film is a documentary about the 1990 robbery and execution-style mass murder that occurred at the Las Cruces Bowl on the morning of Feb. 10, 1990.
The film’s director, Charlie Minn will be holding question and answer sessions about the film and the unsolved cold case during some of the weekend showings.
Minn, who had been showing his Juarez film trilogy in Lubbock, was approached about showing “A Nightmare in Las Cruces” for the first time in Roswell as a possible way to turn up new leads on this crime that has remained unsolved for more than 20 years.
Minn said, “The two men, if alive, could be anywhere today. Who’s to say they didn’t escape to Roswell and hide out for all these years? Anything is possible.”
One of the victims was Stephen Teran, who had attended New Mexico Military Institute. Teran, his 2-year-old daughter and five others were executed during one of the worst unsolved crimes in New Mexico history. The film tells the heartbreaking story that deeply affected the New Mexican community. Four of the victims were children. Two victims remain alive today, and they are still scarred by the events.
Although the film showing was planned well before the events at Berrendo Middle School last week, Minn said that this is “just another reminder that we have to do everything in our power to protect children, as violence can strike anywhere at anytime.”
Minn, a former KRQE broadcaster, has done several documentaries about the Southeastern region, including a trilogy on the Juarez cartel wars. The films in the trilogy, “8 Murders a Day,” “Murder Capital of the World,” and “The New Juarez” will be available to purchase at Icon during the question and answer sessions.
For show times, visit iconcinemas.com. For more information on “A Nightmare in Las Cruces,” visit bowlingmassacre.com.