As details in school shooting emerge, law enforcement continues search for motive and community remains in shock
(Mark Wilson Photos)
The community of Roswell remains in shock after two students were shot at Berrendo Middle School around 7:45 a.m. Tuesday.
Parents and family raced down Main Street to converge on the Roswell Mall following the incident. People wept and held each other; others prayed as they waited to hear if their sons or daughters were among the injured.
In a late night press conference, Gov. Susana Martinez confirmed the name of one of the two student victims: Kendal Sanders.
She said the 13-year-old girl was shot in the right shoulder, but made it through surgery and was listed in stable condition.
The name of the second victim, a 12-year-old boy, was withheld at the request of the family. He had been shot in the side of the face and the neck and had gone through two surgeries.
“They have asked to be left alone. … They want to focus on their son.”
One school employee received minor injuries, but refused medical treatment. Martinez complimented John Masterson, who assisted the child who had been wounded, and school security, who had helped to disarm the 12-year-old shooter.
New Mexico State Police Public Information Officer Sgt. Emmanuel Guiterrez thanked the entire law enforcement community for their work.
“Tonight, we will be serving three search warrants for his locker, the bag and his residence.”
He said that the shooter is in NMSP custody and he repeated that Login to read more