MENU
“american-legacy"
no-image1-537x350

Family creates fund for assault survivor

January 10, 2014 • Local News

The family of a woman, who was the victim of a home invasion, stabbing and sexual assault Jan. 4, has set up a fund for her.

“She has no disability and she is still listed in critical condition, but she’s recovering. It’s going to be a long recovery,” said cousin Nancy Sanchez.

Family members will be gathering this weekend to move her furniture from her house because she cannot afford to keep it while she is in the hospital.

Kenneth Whiteside, 18, broke into her home in the 900 block of Pecan Drive around 6 a.m. He took televisions, jewelry and a gaming station.

He stabbed, raped and beat the woman before he left. She had to go to a neighbor’s house to call police. Doctors at a local emergency room confirmed the victim had been stabbed in the neck and sides.

“She is a single mother. She has three kids. Her children are pretty traumatized, but they were not hurt. They were staying with their dad at the time,” said Sanchez.

The children will continue to stay with their family members until their mother can come home.

Speaking for the family, Sanchez said: “We are pretty shocked. You don’t know what to do in a situation like this.”

The shock was shared by the community. Her neighbors held a candlelight vigil for her Jan. 5.

“We have set up a fund for her through Wells Fargo Bank at any location in any state,” said Sanchez.

She explained that anyone who wants to donate can go to Wells Fargo and mention the account by name: “The Roswell Victim Fund.”

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

« »