FILE – In this Nov. 30, 2013, file photo, Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston warms up before an NCAA college football game against Florida in Gainesville, Fla. The prosecutor overseeing the investigation of sexual assault allegations against Winston says it is completed. State Attorney Willie Meggs has scheduled a news conference at 2 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013, in his office to announce his findings. (AP Photo/John Raoux, File)
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida State quarterback and Heisman hopeful Jameis Winston will not face any charges in a sexual assault case, mostly because there were too many gaps in his accuser’s story, a prosecutor said Thursday.
State Attorney Willie Meggs said the woman’s memory lapses about the events last December were problematic and there was not enough evidence to win a conviction.
“It’s not inconsistencies, it’s lack of memory most of the time,” Meggs said.
The woman told police she had been drinking at a bar with friends and went home with a man she didn’t know. She said she the alleged assault took place at an off-campus apartment, but she couldn’t remember where it was.
A month later, she identified her alleged attacker as the quarterback. Winston’s attorney said the sex was consensual.
The quarterback said in a statement he was relieved.
“It’s been difficult to stay silent through this process, but I never lost faith in the truth and in who I am,” Winston said.
The alleged assault happened long before Winston became a star on the national stage. Reports about an investigation didn’t surface in the public until last month, as the redshirt freshman was well Login to read more