Dorothy Brod Huckabee

December 3, 2013 • Obituaries

Huckabee-picServices are scheduled for 2:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 6, 2013, at First United Methodist Church for Dorothy Brod Huckabee, 87. Interment will follow at South Park Cemetery. Dr. Douglas Mills will officiate. Special music will be provided by organist Michelle Olsen and soloists John Fuss and Tom Blake. Serving as pallbearers will be: Peter Huckabee, John Huckabee, Kevin Ballard, Jim McDevitt, Bill Bonham, Matthew Batista, Steven Smith and Marc Reischman.

Dorothy was born [auth] to Joseph Paul and Edith Marie Brod on June 14, 1926, in Lubbock, Texas. Born on Flag Day, she always celebrated our great country’s banner along with the day of her birth. She loved the flag. It was a prevalent theme at her birthdays.

She was blessed with a brother, Joseph Paul Brod at 5 years of age. Together, they and their loving family endured the Great Depression in Lakeview, Texas. Her mother was devoted to God and a lifelong Methodist. Dorothy acquired from her a love of God and a mild touch of mischief. Her father was a musician and a carpenter. Dorothy was a talented writer and editor contributing much to her school newspaper at Waco High School. She graduated college at Texas State Women’s College in Denton, Texas, during World War II with a degree in nursing and dietetics. She was known as a good friend and loved an occasional prank. During these years, she acquired the nickname of Demon. Some said it was due to her hard work and attitude. Others sort of smiled and sort of agreed. Dorothy worked as a dietician at the hospital in Amherst, Texas, after college.

She married Edwin S. Huckabee, a then Olton, Texas, farmer, in Amherst, Texas, on May 3, 1947. After 48 years of marriage, he preceded her in death in 1995.

After a short stint in Lubbock, Texas, where Ed earned his accounting degree, Dorothy and Ed moved to Roswell in 1953. She was a homemaker and active in the First United Methodist Church. She was employed by the Department of Human Services as a social worker for several years. She loved and worked with children for 42 years, including 11 years on the church staff as Director of Children’s Ministries. Her children’s work also included membership in the New Mexico Christian Educators Fellowship and serving as district children’s coordinator in the conference. She was a proud member of the Bishop’s Sunday School Class. She was an honorary member of the El Divino Spanish Methodist Church and served as co-director, with her good friend Carolyn Ballard, of an afterschool children’s program in that church for several years. She is remembered as a loving mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, wife and friend.

Dorothy is survived by one brother, Joe Brod, and wife, Norma, of Amarillo, Texas; sister, Joye Autry, of Amarillo, Texas; and brother, Bob Huckabee, of Ponca City, Okla. Survivors also include sons: Edwin S. “Dusty” Huckabee III and his wife, Heidi, of Roswell, Michael Huckabee, his wife, Michelle, of Roswell, and their children: Aaron and his wife, Roxanne, of Austin, Texas; great-grandson Phineas Peter, of Roswell, John, of Socorro, Faith, of Roswell, Jeffrey Huckabee and his wife, Jennifer, of Las Cruces, and their children: Kathryn Rebecca, Elaine Zoey, all of Las Cruces; and numerous nieces and nephews. In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts may be given to the Cowboy Bell Scholarship Fund c/o First United Methodist Church, 400 N. Pennsylvania, Roswell, NM 88201.

Arrangements have been entrusted to Ballard Funeral Home and Crematory. An online registry can be accessed at