EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs Catherine Ashton, left, walks next to Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif during a photo opportunity prior to the start of two days of closed-door nuclear talks, Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2013, at the United Nations offices in Geneva. Iran’s overtures to the West are being tested as the United States and its partners sit down for the first talks on Tehran’s nuclear program since the election of a reformist Iranian president. Negotiations between Iran and the U.S., Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany began Tuesday morning. (AP Photo/Fabrice Coffrini, Pool)
GENEVA (AP) — With PowerPoint slides and feel-good phrases, Iranian negotiators presented world powers on Tuesday with what they said was a plan to break a decade of deadlock over Tehran’s nuclear program, declaring the time had come to end the country’s “walk in the dark” of international isolation and crippling sanctions.
Neither Iran nor the six nations negotiating with it revealed details of the proposal. But their guarded comments indicated some progress had been made and a rare private meeting between Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and the chief U.S. negotiator, Wendy Sherman, suggested a better tone compared to previous encounters.
Speaking in English, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif outlined the proposal, entitled “An End to the Unnecessary Crisis and a Beginning for Fresh Horizons.”
A member of one of the delegations meeting with Iran told The Associated Press the plan offered reductions in both the levels of uranium enrichment being conducted by Iran and the number of centrifuges doing the enrichment — a key demand of the six powers. He demanded anonymity because he was not Login to read more