Report: NM teen who died took drug before concert

September 20, 2013 • State News

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A 14-year-old Santa Fe girl who got sick during a concert at the state fairgrounds and died the next day took the illegal drug ecstasy with friends before going into the venue, a police [auth] report says.

Hannah Bruch took the drug the evening of Aug. 10 before entering the concert at Expo New Mexico in Albuquerque, according to the 130-page New Mexico State Police report released to media outlets Thursday.

The girl took more doses of the drug than her friends, the report said.

A security guard at the concert found the girl sick at about 10:15 p.m., and she was taken to a hospital. She died the next morning.

The report said the girl’s heart was beating extremely fast, she couldn’t walk on her own, and she had trouble speaking.

Police and doctors suspect Bruch died of an ecstasy overdose, but a final cause of death won’t be available until additional toxicology reports are completed.

Investigators obtained the girl’s cellphone records, which led them to an ecstasy dealer, the report said.

However, further information about the dealer was blacked out in the report, which included emails, detectives’ notes and witness statements.

The report said event security and medical personnel did their jobs. But it did find there were teens with alcohol inside and that adults were bringing their drinks into areas with minors.

Larry Bruch, the girl’s father, has said he believed peer pressure and drugs killed his daughter.

Text messages found by police indicated the girl had a history of using drugs, including marijuana, ecstasy, mushrooms, cocaine and alcohol.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

« »