Valley Meat’s stop order in question

August 20, 2013 • Local News

This anti-horse slaughter billboard on Second Street is sponsored by EquiArmy and The American Horse Rescue Network. The groups could not be located for comment. (Jill McLaughlin Photo)

As the 30-day temporary stop order on Valley Meat Co.’s horse slaughter operation nears an end, local law enforcement is prepping for a possible onslaught of protesters and media at the facility.

Chaves County Sheriff Rob Coon said plans are in place to handle whoever might show up on the two-lane country road in front of owner Rick De Los Santos’ small plant.

“The main goal is to keep the road open,” Coon told county commissioners last week. “What goes on behind the gate is none of our business.”

Valley Meat’s plan to proceed as the nation’s first horse slaughter operation since 2007 was stopped temporarily by Albuquerque-based U.S. District Judge Christina Armijo Aug. 2.

Login to read more

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

« »