A man walks by a gate at Cyber Terror Response Center of National Police Agency in Seoul, South Korea, Tuesday, June 25, 2013. South Korea said multiple government and private sector websites were hacked on Tuesday’s anniversary of the start of the Korean War, and Seoul issued a cyberattack [auth] alert warning officials and citizens to take security measures. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man)
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea says personal information was stolen from its presidential website in a cyberattack last week that coincided with a shutdown of North Korean websites.
Yonhap news agency reported Monday that about 100,000 subscribers’ accounts were hacked on the presidential website. It cited an unidentified presidential official. The president’s office acknowledged the loss of data but couldn’t confirm the details.
The Blue House has apologized on its website for allowing names, birthdates and IDs to be stolen. Passwords were not compromised.
Several North and South Korean websites shut down Wednesday, the anniversary of the start of the Korean War. The Korean Peninsula remains technically at war because the 1950-53 conflict ended in a truce.
Seoul blames hacking for last week’s shutdown. North Korea hasn’t commented.