MENU

Records show past turmoil in Calif. gunman’s home

June 10, 2013 • National News


Debra and Russell Fine pose for a photo Sunday, June 9, 2013 in Santa Monica, Calif. Debra Fine, who was wounded Friday when shooting suspect John Zawahri went on a deadly rampage in Santa Monica, was released in good condition late Saturday from Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, according to a hospital statement. Bullets missed his wife’s vital organs by inches, Russell Fine told the AP Sunday. (AP Photo/Tami Abdollah)

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) — The mother of a gunman who fatally shot five people during a chaotic spate of violence last week said the shooter’s father threatened to kill her on at least two occasions during their tumultuous marriage, according to court records obtained Monday by The Associated Press.

In a 1998 request for a restraining order, gunman John Zawahri’s mother, Randa Abdou, wrote that her husband once told her: “If I had a gun it would be over.”

Abdou also said her husband had threatened to take their two young sons to Canada after the couple separated at the time, and that he once punched her and stole her jewelry, purse, and divorce papers she had started filling out.

Authorities said John Zawahri, 23, shot his father, Samir Zawahri, and his brother, Christopher Zawahri, on Friday, leaving their home in flames before shooting at strangers in cars and on the Santa Monica College campus during a 15-minute rampage.

The former student at the school was heavily armed and carried a duffel bag Login to read more

Related Posts

Comments are closed.

« »