Mary Ann Vandeveer

June 5, 2013 • Obituaries

Memorial services for Mary Ann Vandeveer, 59, will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, June 8, 2013, at Anderson-Bethany Funeral Home Chapel. Mary passed away Thursday, May 30, 2013, at her home.

Mary was born Jan. 14, 1954, to Frank Wesley Vandeveer and Willie Mae (Marcom) Vandeveer in Roswell. She graduated from Goddard High School in 1972 and graduated from New Mexico State University in 1976 with a bachelor’s degree in special education. Mary taught Special Education in the Dexter School [auth] District for over twenty-five years and was awarded Dexter School District Teacher of the Year in May 1998. Mary loved her job and she loved her students. Her additional commitment to Dexter Schools included the International Reading Association, the school newspaper, sponsoring the Student Council for the Dexter Middle School, and organizing the sixth grade graduation each year.

Mary was a dedicated caregiver, caring for her mother until her passing in 2002, as well as her sister until the day of her own passing. Mary’s family remembers how she loved to sing while she worked; she will be greatly missed by those who knew and loved her.

Mary is survived by four siblings, Martha Gayle Vandeveer Bond and her husband Lerry of Carrizozo; Frank Stanley Vandeveer and his wife Deanna of Roswell, Esther Kay Vandeveer of Roswell, John Wesley Vandeveer and his wife Lisa of Clarksville, Ark.; her half-sisters, Kathryn Griffin and her husband John and Vanda Nelson (Thomas 1997); numerous nieces, nephews, great-nieces and great-nephews and great-great-nieces and great-great-nephews.

She was preceded in death by her parents Frank Wesley Vandeveer 1915-1968 and Willie Mae Marcom Vandeveer 1915-2002, her niece Erin Lea Vandeveer (1981-1981) and a dear friend, Wanda Stockton.

Please take a moment to share your thoughts and memories with the family in the online register book at

Services are under the direction of Anderson-Bethany Funeral Home and Crematory.