MENU

Trombone Shorty, Aaron Neville close Jazz Fest

May 5, 2013 • Entertainment


The Black Keys perform at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival in New Orleans, Sunday, May 5, 2013. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — For more than two decades, the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival has closed with a performance by the city’s own Neville Brothers.

On Sunday, that tradition changed. Aaron Neville performed on a stage with his new band while young brass band frontman Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews closed the festival’s biggest stage — where the Neville Brothers once held court the last day.

Andrews and his band, Orleans Avenue, entertained a jam-packed crowd as the festival ended its 2013 run. A sea of faces stretched to the track’s back fence.

Neville said he views the closing lineup change as kind of a “passing of the guard.

“Trombone Slim, as I call him, will do a great job,” Neville said of Andrews. “I remember when it was Professor Longhair out there and then we did it for a long time. It’s time. Slim is a big musician and I’m proud of the way he’s handled himself.”

Neville is promoting his new album, “My True Story,” released earlier this year. At 72, he says it’s the right time to focus on a solo Login to read more

Related Posts

Comments are closed.

« »