Hobbs sentenced for manslaughter

March 26, 2013 • Local News

Gregory Hobbs

Fifth District Court Judge Freddie Romero sentenced Gregory Marvin Hobbs, 23, to the maximum sentence of six years for voluntary manslaughter with a one-year enhancement as a violent offender to be followed by two years of probation.

Hobbs was originally charged with two open counts of murder for the shooting deaths of Ruben Archuleta Sr. and Ruben Archuleta Jr. on June 15, 2012, in the 300 block of East Bonney Street. The charges against Hobbs for killing Archuleta Jr. were eventually dropped since Archuleta Jr. was armed at the time of the incident. However, the jury found Hobbs guilty of manslaughter early in [auth] February for the death of Archuleta Sr.

The state asked for the maximum sentence.

Hobbs’ family members asked for leniency. His grandmother apologized for what Hobbs had done. “He was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.” She said that she had warned her children and her grandchildren against guns. “Firearms cause nothing but murder.”

Ruby Gonzalez, mother of Juan Gonzalez, who was reportedly threatened by Archuleta, said that she was grateful to Hobbs for saving her son’s life. “I give Greg a lot of honor. I see the sacred heart of Jesus and I light a candle everyday.”

Defense attorney Anna Marie Bell argued for her client, starting with a quote from Sir Thomas More. She also reported to the court that she and her family have been threatened by the Archuleta family in social media. “The Archuletas put out stuff about me and my children on Facebook. It’s disgusting. … Why does my infant son have to be attacked?”

As family members reacted to her statements, Romero threatened to clear the court room. He agreed that Roswell was a violent place. “Ms. Bell is right. There’s a lot of violence on the street. At some point, it’s got to stop. … Nobody wins.”

Romero read a Letter to the Editor that appeared in the Roswell Daily Record over the weekend about violence on the street. “We’re done. It ends. Put up the guns and put away the drugs.”

He spoke to the families, “Let’s stop it … so we don’t have to go to any more funerals and we don’t have to go to court.”

In addition, Hobbs pleaded no contest to charges of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon for an incident that occurred on May 16, 2012. The plea agreement was arranged where Hobbs could serve his sentence concurrently to the manslaughter charges.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

« »