ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Bernalillo County District Attorney Kari Brandenburg says she plans to begin tackling a backlog of 10 police shooting cases by February amid a federal probe into Albuquerque police.
Brandenburg told the Albuquerque Journal (http://bit.ly/REpdil) Wednesday that she doesn’t know if the cases will be examined by using a controversial practice of taking the cases to “investigative grand juries” or by reviewing them in-house.
The grand jury system used by local prosecutors since 1988 have drawn fire since no police shooting has ever been ruled unjustified under that system.
Last week, the U.S. Justice Department announced it was launching a civil investigation into excessive force cases by Albuquerque police.
Since 2010, Albuquerque police have been involved in 26 officer-involved shootings, of which 17 people died from police gunfire.