MENU

Zimmerman back to jail; judge says he lied

June 2, 2012 • National News


FILE – In this Thursday, April 12, 2012 file photo, George Zimmerman, charged with killing 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, right, stands next to a Seminole County Deputy during a court hearing in Sanford, Fla. A judge on Friday, June 1, 2012 revoked Zimmerman’s bond and ordered him returned to jail within 48 hours. Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester said Zimmerman misled the court about how much money he had available when his bond was set for $150,000 in April. Prosecutors claim Zimmerman had $135,000 available that had been raised by a website he set up. (AP Photo/Gary W. Green, Orlando Sentinel, Pool)

SANFORD, Fla. (AP) — Trayvon Martin’s shooter must return to jail, a judge ordered Friday in a strongly worded ruling that said George Zimmerman and his wife lied to the court about their finances to obtain bond in a case that hinges on jurors believing his account of what happened the night the teen was killed.

Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder for the February shooting. The neighborhood watch volunteer says he shot Martin in self-defense because the unarmed 17-year-old was beating him up after confronting Zimmerman about following him in a gated community outside Orlando.

Zimmerman was arrested 44 days after the killing, and during a bond hearing in April, his wife, Shellie, testified that the couple had limited funds available. The hearing also was notable because Zimmerman took the stand and apologized to Martin’s parents.

Prosecutors pointed out in their motion that Zimmerman had $135,000 available then. It had been raised from donations through a website he set up and they suggested Login to read more

Related Posts

Comments are closed.

« »