MENU

Colo. gov stops prescribed burns after wildfire

March 29, 2012 • National News


In this aerial photograph, a slurry bomber glides over smoke on the way to making a drop on the Lower North Fork Wildfire as it burns near the foothills community of Conifer, Colo., southwest of Denver on Tuesday, March 27, 2012. Firefighters are now able to actively battle the blaze on the ground that started on Monday and has already destroyed at least 16 homes in the rugged terrain. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)

CONIFER, Colo. (AP) — Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper on Wednesday suspended the use of state prescribed burns like the one that may have caused a deadly wildfire that destroyed dozens of homes near Denver.

The Colorado State Forest Service says the 6-square-mile fire started after a controlled burn last week that was meant to reduce vegetation. Instead, high wind gusts Monday blew embers across a containment line and into unburned forest, sparking the blaze.

“This is heartbreaking, and we are sorry,” Deputy State Forester Joe Duda said in a written statement.

Hickenlooper said the ban on prescribed fires on state lands, including state parks, would be in effect until a review of the wildfire is complete.

The ban doesn’t affect land controlled by the federal Login to read more

Related Posts

Comments are closed.

« »