From Left: Josh Gantt, Lt Brian Roach, Taylor Whitcamp, Andrew Sena, of Roswell Fire Department Station 1, help to put up a banner for Harvest Ministries’ annual food drive. (Courtesy Photo)
Powered by the platform, “trying to end childhood hunger,” Harvest Ministries [auth] will kickoff its annual two-day food drive on Sept. 30. The drive will last from Sept. 30 to Oct. 1, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day. Pastor “Rubie” Rubinstein said the non-profit organization has invited Lt. Governor John Sanchez, and hopes he will be able to attend the drive.
This is the organization’s ninth year doing ministry, and January will mark its tenth year in the community. Helping those in Chaves, Lincoln and Otero counties, Harvest Ministries serves 40,000 people a month according to Pastor Rubinstein. The goal of the drive is to restock the organization’s pantry and the pantries of those it serves.
Walmart and Sam’s Club are the corporate sponsors for the drive. Rubinstein said he hopes to fill a Walmart semi-trailer and a Sam’s Club semi-trailer full of food. Each trailer can hold 24 produce bins. Employees from each store will help with the drive by collecting donations and then helping to sort them later on.
Last year the drive raised 9,000 pounds of food. Rubinstein says 1,000 people have attended the event in the past and he hopes that number will increase due to the surge of people who will be coming into town for the Eastern New Mexico State Fair. “The community has been very good to us. We want to thank them for their support and ask them to come out and help us to kick things off. We depend on the gifts of good people.”
Acceptable donations are any non-perishable foods, such as canned or boxed goods. Rubinstein said hunger is a dire issue in the state, citing New Mexico as the third food deficient state in the United States.
“I don’t want to see anyone go hungry on my watch, especially not a child.”