MENU

Elementary schools awarded funds for remodeling

January 14, 2011 • Local News, News

A state entity that allocates grant money based on need voted yesterday to approve construction funding for three elementary schools in the Roswell school district.

East Grand Plains, Monterrey and Pecos elementary schools will receive money for remodeling and improvements to bring the schools up to state adequacy standards.

The Public School Capital Outlay Council — a nine-member body comprised of both state executive and legislative agencies — moved to pay the full 72 percent of each school’s five-year Facilities Master Plan (which every school in the district must have, by law). The voters agreed last May to pay for the other 28 percent of the project through a general obligation bond.

East Grand Plains Elementary School will receive a state share of $5,116,332 (72%), contingent upon a local share of $1,989,682 (28%).

Monterrey Elementary School will receive a state share of $3,862,847 (72%), contingent upon a local share of $1,502,218 (28%).

Pecos Elementary School will receive a state share of $6,161,466 (72%), contingent upon a local share of $2,396,121 (28%).

The PSCOC also voted in the same session to award four more Roswell schools funding to begin planning and designing for renovations. Valley View, Berrendo, Military Heights and El Capitan elementary schools were chosen, as they were ranked 10, 33, 37 and 48, respectively, on the New Mexico Condition List. The NMCI measures the physical condition and adequacy of a school facility based on the state’s adequacy standards.

Usually these awards are made annually at the end of July, but PSCOC decided last Sept. to allow a delayed 2010-2011 Special Standards-Based Capital Outlay Award cycle to begin design for the top 60 neediest schools.

Those four schools will also pay for the local share (28 percent of the total project cost) through the general obligation bond passed by Roswell voters last May.

emiller@roswell-record.com

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

« »