Daugherty trial begins

October 19, 2010 • Local News

The trial of Aaron Daugherty began Monday. Daugherty, 24, is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of Valerie A. York, 25, [auth] and Mark A. Koenig, 23, on June 13, 2009, at 1207 W. Hobbs St. Assistant District Attorney Michael Sanchez began the proceedings by calling the first officials to arrive at the scene of the double homicide. Roswell police Sgt.

Michael Taylor described the scene, with bloody foot prints noted on the concrete drive and upon the stairs and York laying in the doorway. He said that he and other of ficers stepped over the body in order to clear the building and discovered a male victim with a gunshot wound to the head. Defense attorney Harry Wilcox asked each officer if they had taken care to avoid contaminating evidence.

RPD police officer John Hancock was called by Sanchez to describe his relationship with Daugherty. Hancock said he and Daugherty had been friends since seventh grade.

Both men served in the National Guard in Iraq. When Sanchez asked if Daugherty had changed as a result of his time in the Middle East, Hancock said he had not noticed. He said that Daugherty believed York was cheating on him and that Daugherty kept a day planner of her activities.

“I found it an interesting way to keep track of her,” Hancock said., During the recross examination, Sanchez asked Hancock about Daugherty’ behavior with York. Hancock said, “We did not interact much on how we acted with our females.” Further testimony outlined Daugherty’s apprehension by Chaves County deputies Travis Hardy and Scott Ouilette. Both men agreed that Daugherty offered no resistance, pulling over and complying with their orders.

Officials agreed that Daugherty seemed to be cool and collected. His composure broke after he was arrested at which time he became pale, began to sweat and shake.

Officer Neil Binderman, who drove Daugherty to Chaves County Detention Center, described his demeanor as if “nothing out of the ordinary” had happened. Both Ouilette and Hardy said that Daugherty confessed, saying, “I shot them,” and he informed them that the gun was on the front seat and his 15-month-old son was in the back.

Larry Youngblood affirmed that Daugherty purchased the gun from Youngblood’s Discount Gun Shop the previous year. Inside Daugherty’s apartment, of ficials located a daily planner and an empty gray gun box. Photos taken after Daugherty was taken to the RPD showed blood on his left pant leg and on the bottom of his shoes.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

« »